Finding super peers

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.

Finding super peers

Postby shmoin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:49 am

Hi, I'm new here, this project seems intriguing.

I set up a server and noticed it's taking a long time to acquire the 'Transaction History' (only 1.05% after ~4 hours). At this pace it'll take ~16 days.

In order to hurry things along, is there any way to locate and select only super peers from the Peerlist? Or am I misunderstanding the concept of super peers and the initial delay is intentional?
shmoin

Re: Finding super peers

Postby warmach » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 pm

shmoin wrote:Hi, I'm new here, this project seems intriguing.

I set up a server and noticed it's taking a long time to acquire the 'Transaction History' (only 1.05% after ~4 hours). At this pace it'll take ~16 days.

In order to hurry things along, is there any way to locate and select only super peers from the Peerlist? Or am I misunderstanding the concept of super peers and the initial delay is intentional?

Sorry, I am not sure why I didn't see this until now...

Has your server downloaded the block chain and is up to date?

There are several reasons why it will take a while, but the intention is not for it to take long, it is just a by product of other things.

First, each request for data from a peer by default only sends a small amount transactions. I can't remember exactly how many right now. I believe it was limited so that a peer's bandwith wouldn't be maxed out constantly. The idea of timekoin is to use as little resources as possible and still function.

Second, your server then processes each transaction. It does all the math and verifies the transactions individually. If you are on a low end computer, ie Raspberry Pi, it will take your computer longer to validate each transaction.

So, depending on how many transactions are sent, and then how fast your computer can verify them, will likely determine the speed of updates.

Super Peers, they are volunteers who allow bulk downloading of transactions. They usually are servers with high bandwidth limits. Right now, the max is 500 per request. So even at 500 a request, it still might take a while. Right now, there is no super peer directory. Your server just needs to "stumble" across it when connecting to peers.

I have a node that is a super peer that you can connect to if you wish.

domain: tk2.warmach.info
port: 80
directory: timekoin

I hope that helps!
warmach

Return to Server Technical Support